If you’re anything like me, you’ve been meaning to start meal prepping but never seem to get around to it. That’s because we all start out with great intentions, only to be derailed by a busy schedule, demanding kids, or our own personal laziness. But I’m here to tell you that meal prepping doesn’t have to be a chore! In fact, prepping meals ahead of time can actually save you time and money by reducing your reliance on takeout and takeout-style meals.
Preparing A Quick and Easy Meal
Time is money, and it’s hard to find more of both-not to mention more free time-than you have right now. That’s why meal prepping is so great! It’s a way to get your meals ready ahead of time, so you can eat healthy food without slaving over a stove for hours and still have time to enjoy your favorite activities after work. Alternatively, you can sign up for a regular meal prep delivery service, such as Key to Food, which tends to provide you with fresh and healthy meals on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
Essentially, meal prep is the act of prepping 3-5 meals in advance that you can then cook up at the end of the week and eat throughout the week. To help you more, we have here a list of quick and simple meal prep ideas that you can try:
- BLT Lettuce Wrap – No, you read that right: A BLT in a lettuce wrap. It may sound pretty strange – who would’ve thought that lettuce could improve upon bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes? – but this recipe is surprisingly good. The crisp lettuce gives a nice texture to the crispy bacon, and the tomato adds a nice acidity to the salty BLT. The result: a BLT you’ll be proud to show off.
- Easy Prep Salmon Meal – One of the easiest ways to prepare it is to grill it, since all you need to do is season it lightly with salt and pepper, brush it with a little butter, and then grill it for eight to ten minutes per side. The best way to cook salmon is to wrap it in aluminum foil, which will keep the fish moist as it cooks. (You can also use this method for cooking thinner cuts of salmon, such as salmon steaks and others.
- Fried rice – it is a quick and easy dinner to make on a busy weeknight. This recipe calls for brown rice and a handful of fresh vegetables, which are chopped and quickly stir-fried in a wok with a bit of peanut oil until tender. As a bonus, fried rice is also a great way to use up leftover rice and vegetables in your fridge.
- Tuna Salad Made Easy – You might think the idea of making a tuna salad sandwich seems pretty simple, but you’d be surprised at the number of people who get it wrong. First of all, make sure to pick a good quality canned tuna: you can use solid white tuna in oil or water, but for extra flavor, go for the oil-packed kind. You also need a good mayonnaise, and it’s better to use a natural mayo than one that has any sort of artificial sweetener. For extra flavor, you can add capers and green olives, and for extra crunch, some celery and toasted walnuts.
- Chicken Avocado Burritos – While lunch can be a tough meal to come up with quick and easy ideas, chicken avocado burritos are a great option that’ll take you less than 20 minutes to prepare. Plus, they’re a healthier alternative to some of the other burrito options out there. While some of the prep needed is done the night before, you can still have the main ingredients ready to go before you head out the door. All you need to do is quickly heat the tortilla for a few seconds in the microwave, dump in the ingredients, and wrap.
- Balsamic Chicken and Veggie Meal – Quick and simple meals don’t have to be boring. Balsamic chicken is a simple and easy to prepare a meal that can be found in many restaurants. It’s a delicious chicken dish that is both tasty and versatile. As the name suggests, the essence of this dish is balsamic vinegar. It gives the chicken a sweet and slightly sour flavor, and it’s easy to see why it is so popular. It can be served with a side dish, a main course, or even a sandwich filling.
Getting home in time for dinner every night can be a challenge. Fortunately, there are plenty of healthy meal prep ideas that can help make cooking healthy meals easier than ever. You don’t need fancy equipment to meal prep, and you don’t have to spend a lot of time cooking healthy meals. The best meal prep ideas are ones that will save you time, money, and effort!